The Topographisch-militairische Charte von Teutschland (1807–1812/15) and its reference to Switzerland
Cartographica Helvetica 50 (2014) 31–40
At the beginning of the 19th century the Topographisch-militairische Charte von Teutschland, initially consisting of 204 sheets, was one of the most significant cartographic works at the Geographic Institute in Weimar. Already completed areas were combined to regional atlases and were intended to generate a wide range of purchasers and engage them in a long-term commitment to the publishing house with a variety of products. First heralded in 1816, the Topographisch-militairische Atlas von der Schweiz was finally completed in 1818/1823. Its cartographic visualization reflected the difficulties of relief shading which – at the beginning of the 19th century – were subject to methodical and technical changes.
Ultimately, this ambitious cartographic project did not enjoy lasting success. The digital edition of the Allgemeine Geographische Ephemeriden, among others, serves as the primary source for this research project.