The Ebstorf mappamundi. Picture of creation and sign of sovereignty
Cartographica Helvetica 3 (1991) 28–32
The mappamundi from the Ebstorf monastery, unfortunately lost during World War II, was produced between around 1235 and 1239 at the monastery itself and was probably a version of a lost draught (dated around 1214). The spiritus rector of the Ebstorf map was the widely travelled and well-educated jurist Provost of Ebstorf, Gervasius of Tilbury.
The Ebstorf map is a spatial and historical portrait of the medieval world. It is not only a geographical map but also a didactic encyclopedia, an iconographic illustration of God's creation, politically a Herrschaftszeichen, and, from the religious point of view, a devotional and meditative depiction.
© 1990–2023 Cartographica Helvetica (Imprint)