On a fragment of a printing woodblock of a late-medieval world map
Cartographica Helvetica 38 (2008) 37–40
The Prussian officer Hans Albrecht von Derschau (1754–1824) in Nuremberg had collected approx. 1200 printing woodblocks which are today in the Kupferstichkabinett in Berlin. Among them is a block which forms the upper left part of a late-medieval circular world map. The article discusses some art-historical aspects of the mysterious item. The block is cut on both sides. A reconstruction reveals a world map with a diameter of approx. 50–55 cm, printed from six blocks. The block has a second, later woodcut on the reverse side by the Nuremberg artist Hans Weigel the Elder (approx. 1548–1577). This leads to the Glockendon workshop in Nuremberg that was active in the last quarter of the 15th century.