The Evesham world map of 1392. A medieval mappamundi in the College of Arms in London. From universality to Anglocentrism
Cartographica Helvetica 9 (1994) 17–22
The Evesham world map, now owned by the College of Arms in London, was almost certainly commissioned for its prior, Nicholas Herford, in about 1390 and was amended some twenty years later. It probably derives from a lost map accompanying a continuation of Ranulph Higden's popular encyclopedia, the Polychronicon (originally composed between about 1320 and 1360), that was also created in Evesham at that time.
Where the large thirteenth-century world maps such as the Hereford and Ebstorf and even the simple map that Higden selected to accompany his Polychronicon, are universalist in nature, the Evesham world map is Anglocentric, reflecting the mentality of England during the Hundred Year's War with France.
Within the traditional geographical and spiritual framework, the preoccupation with the universal, ancient, religious and mythical which had dominated the earlier large world maps has yielded primacy to the illustration of the contemporary kingdom of England and of English patriotism in its territorial, dynastic and commercial aspects.
The Evesham map thus challenges further the traditional but misguided view of the immutability over the centuries of the medieval mappamundi.