The boundary atlas of Saint Gall Abbey's former lands of c. 1730
Cartographica Helvetica 6 (1992) 33–37
The boundary atlas under discussion is also known in the literature under the name Fürstäbtisch-st. gallischer Marchenbeschrieb, um 1728 (Description of land owned by the Abbey of Saint Gall from about 1728).
This paper is divided into the following four chapters:
The atlas, at a scale of about 1:10,000, is considered as an internal abbatial document, showing the results of boundary negotiations. The date of its origin is presumed to be 1730. A close relationship to the boundary map of Daniel Teucher (1726) is recognisable. By means of comparing handwritings, the previously unknown author was indentified as the clergyman Gabriel Hecht (1664–1745). The style of the map also points out a relation to Southern Germany.
Boundary maps are mainly manuscript maps and many cases still need to be scientifically researched. The newly edited and commented atlas is therefore a particularly interesting addition to the history of cartography of northeastern Switzerland and to the history of boundary maps.